21 June, 2008

Beaded Knitting Pattern for Small Amulet Bag

Additional information can be found at my: beaded knitting overview.


You will need (4-5) strands or one tube (18g) size 11/0 seed beads
strung on a spool of DMC crochet cotton (perle 8).

If my calculations are correct, a total of 1,598 seed beads will be required for the knitting portion of this piece.

Using #000 steel knitting needles, cast on 18 stitches ~ leaving a 10” tail.

I use the long tail cast-on method so there is thread readily available for sewing your finished bag.

Rows 1-2
knit 18

Rows 3-4
k3, *slip 1 bead, k1* ending with slip 1 bead, k3

Rows 5-6
k3, *slip 1 bead, k3*

Rows 7-10
k3, *slip 1 bead, k3, slip 2 beads, k3* ending with slip 1 bead, k3

Rows 11-16
k3, *slip 2 beads, k3, slip 3 beads, k3* ending with slip 2 beads, k3

Rows 17-24
k3, *slip 3 beads, k3, slip 4 beads, k3* ending with slip 3 beads, k3

Rows 25-34
k3, *slip 4 beads, k3, slip 5 beads, k3* ending with slip 4 beads, k3

Rows 35-40
k3, *slip 5 beads, k3*

Rows 41-54
k3, *slip 6 beads, k3*

Rows 55-60
k3, *slip 5 beads, k3*

Rows 61-70
k3, *slip 4 beads, k3, slip 5 beads, k3* ending with slip 4 beads, k3

Rows 71-78
k3, *slip 3 beads, k3, slip 4 beads, k3* ending with slip 3 beads, k3

Rows 79-84
k3, *slip 2 beads, k3, slip 3 beads, k3* ending with slip 2 beads, k3

Rows 85-88
k3, *slip 1 bead, k3, slip 2 beads, k3* ending with slip 1 bead, k3

Rows 89-90
k3, *slip 1 bead, k3*

Rows 91-92
k3, *slip 1 bead, k1* ending with slip 1 bead, k3

Row 93
knit 18

Row 94
bind off

Matching corners, hand sew up both sides and turn right-side out. I like to spin satin rattail and attach it through assorted beads and findings ~ but this is where you can express your personality through the finishing touches.

4 comments:

Abigail said...

Those little bags are breathtaking......I admire your talents to create such beauty.

You might want to post the pattern on Ravelry.

Deborah said...

Those are really nice looking bags! They would make a nice gift to anyone or even yourself!

Penny said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I want to get started on one immediately! However my New Years resolution was to not have more than 3 projects going at once. I think that I have 4, but my husband doesn't know.

I have copies of Cornelia Mee, Miss Watts, and Miss Lambert's books from the Gugenheim Project. Do you know how much change must be made so there is no question of copyright issues? No one seems to have a clear answer. We need a lawyer who knits that will give us a more clear answer.

Thanks for sharing your work...Penny

Robin said...

Hi Penny,

Your email address is unavailable so I'll need to reply to your comment here, hoping that you'll check.

I'm not familiar with the Gugenheim Project. A friend taught me beaded knitting and I adapted this pattern from what she showed me how to do. She had learned it from someone else.

How would one ever backtrack to find out where things originally came from when you are working with a handcraft such as knitting? And given the amount of knitted items constructed down through the centuries... how would you know when you actually reached an original work, previously unknit?

Thanks for your comment and I'm sorry I couldn't respond to you directly by email. Blogger doesn't allow that unless the sender's settings permit it. Happy knitting! Robin