How challenging it is to stay focused through these chapters. Drowsiness settles in. I'll get to the end of a section and realize that nothing has penetrated my heart.
Drowsiness is a wake-up call. An alarm. Because ALL Scripture is breathed out by God and has been given to us for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16.)
And when God says "all" Scripture ~ well, He means all. Including Leviticus. Or perhaps especially Leviticus?
So the problem isn't with the Bible. The problem is with my heart. And when I come back to His Word with a heart ready to hear what God would say to me ... how wonderfully He will bless that perseverance!
What follows are some connections God gave me this morning while reading Leviticus chapters 13-14.
Even as I write this, I am wonderfully aware that this is only the tip of the iceberg. A lifetime is not long enough to explore the glory of the gospel message. That work continues on into eternity.
Leviticus 13:1-44 details thorough, physical examination by the priest which results in the declaration of leprosy; someone found unclean ~ which is a "picture example" displaying before our eyes our own sinful state from birth.
- Leviticus 13:45 ~ torn clothes
- Isaiah 64:6 "For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; and all of us wither like a leaf; and our inequities, like the wind, take us away."
- Leviticus 13:46 ~ the leper dwells alone outside camp
- Ephesians 2:12 "remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world."
- Leviticus 13:45 ~ leper cries "Unclean! Unclean!"
- In part, a picture of confession ~ John 1:8-9 "If we say we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
- Leviticus 14:3 ~ the priest goes outside the camp to examine him
- Luke 19:10 "For the Son of Man has come to seek and save that which was lost."
- Leviticus 14:4 ~ a scarlet string
- Isaiah 1:18 "Come now and let us reason together," says the LORD, "though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool."
- Leviticus 14:4 ~ hyssop
- Psalm 51:7 "Purify me with hyssop and I shall be clean; wash me and I shall be whiter than snow."
- Leviticus 14:4 ~ two birds / one sacrificed while one set free
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
- 1 Peter 2:24 "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
- Leviticus 14:7 ~ let the live bird go free over an open field
- What a beautiful picture! My heart leaped at this!
- John 8:36 "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."
- Romans 8:2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free."
- Galatians 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore, keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."
- Leviticus 14:14 the priest puts some blood from the guilt offering on the lobe of the right ear of the one to be cleansed, and on the thumb of his right hand and on the big toe of his right foot.
- followed by...
- Leviticus 14:17 where oil is put on the right ear lobe of the one to be cleansed and on the thumb of his right hand and on the toe of his right foot.
- These verses make me think of consecration of ones life, in thought, action, and walk, as well as sanctification. The oil makes me think of the Holy Spirit. And here are some verses God took me to:
- Romans 6:4 "... walk in newness of life"
- Romans 6:13b "present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God."
- Romans 6:19b "present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification."
- Romans 8:6 "the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace"
- Galatians 5:16 "walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh"
- Galatians 5:13 "through love serve one another"
And I will remember this day when I become drowsy again so I can pray for a heart ready to hear from God when I open the pages of the Bible.
Because nothing compares to times when His word explodes off the page, floods deeper things into my mind and fills up my heart with love for Him.
Even in Leviticus.